A dial-by-name directory or extension directory is a virtual assistant or auto-attendant that allows the originating caller to select an available party they wish to reach via their extension.
The dial-by-name directory will accept the first three letters of the party's First or Last name that the originating caller wishes to reach. By default, the auto-attendant will announce each letter of the party's name one letter at a time, unless the party has recorded their name. Once recorded, the auto-attendant will announce the recorded audio file for the originating caller to hear (see section Record your name for more details).
- Listen to the available options from the Dial-by-name Directory Main Menu.
- Enter the first three letters of the party's First or Last name you wish to reach.
- The auto-attendant will announce the first available option based on the entry.
- Once the auto-attendant has completed the announcement, the originating caller will be given the option to Press 1 to Accept or Press Star (*) if this is not the party you wish to reach.
a. If Accepted, the originating caller will be connected to the party's extension.
b. If this is not the party you wish to reach, then the auto-attendant will announce the next available option or return to the main menu.
Diagram of Dial-by-Name Directory Main Menu: Select
Record your name
The dial-by-name directory uses the recorded name from a party's voicemail extension or voicemail box.
To record your name for the dial-by-name directory, please follow these easy steps:
- Access your voicemail extension or voicemail box.
Dial prefix 7, followed by the three-digit or four-digit extension you wish to manage.
Press the voicemail button.
- Press 0 for Mailbox Options.
- Press 3 to Record Your Name.
- Press 1 to Accept the Recording.
- Press 2 to Review the Recording.
- Press 3 to Re-record.
- Once satisfied with the recording, you may disconnect the call or hangup.
The dial-by-name directory with now automatically play the recording of your name when selected.